You may be wondering how you will be able to survive the matric year and the exam season itself. Don’t worry, we’re here to share our top tips and advice on how to pass matric—like a boss.
It doesn’t matter what time of the school year it is, having a game plan for making it through matric is important. You will need to prepare hard and eventually tackle the final exams. Before you can achieve your matric certificate, you will need to pass these. Remember to keep working as hard as you can and stay focused. It is important to do the following:
- Concentrate in class and stay focused on the end goal – to pass your exams.
- Take notes in every class and talk to your teacher if you don’t understand a concept.
- Summarise the notes that you took in class in the evenings when you have completed your homework.
- Use these summarised notes to study off of during exams.
Table of Contents
Make Your Matric School Holidays Work For You
It may be tempting to use your school holiday to forget about school. Yet using your school holidays to start studying can be one of the most important choices you will make. This can contribute towards you finishing matric exams! Let’s face it, you probably have some spare time in the school holidays, when you’re not at the beach or grabbing coffee with friends. These spare moments are perfect for revising a subject to make sure that you’re prepared for exams.
So what should you be doing during this time? Here’s how to prepare for your matric exams:
- Draw up a study schedule – Don’t worry, we’ve got your back. Let us show you how.
- Stick to the study plan – When you create a study schedule, you will see how easy it is to be productive and have fun.
- Plan study sessions with your friends – Organising a time to work and see your friends will make the process of revising much easier and more fun. This way, you can go over any sections you might be missing in your notes and be sure that you understand key concepts.
- Know the time, date and length of your matric exams – By organising your calendar during the holiday, you have plenty of time to prepare yourself for the hectic term ahead.
Studying For Matric Exams
As the matric exams approach, stress levels may begin to rise. How can you combat the panic that comes with the countdown to those final exams? Giving up is not the solution. How else can you lower stress levels and be sure that you are on the right track to excel in each exam? Well, here are some proven methods that will help you to stay focused and be better prepared for final exams.
1. Stop Cramming
The fact is, you’re not going to absorb any more information by cramming and tiring yourself out before exams even start. This is why it is important to manage your time and make sure you set aside enough study time for each exam.
2. Don't Hibernate
Try not to hibernate in your room while you study for matric exams. Remember to get out for some fresh air and exercise. This is what will help you stay focused when you are studying rather than staring out the window, longing for a walk. Go out and take your pet for a stroll or just drink a cup of tea on the grass when you take a study break.
3. Stay Away From the Sugary Energy Drinks
Although it’s tempting to stock up on sugary energy drinks during matric exams, it’s important to fuel your brain and your body with good food and lots of water instead. Instead of downing five cans of Red Bull a day, drink green tea and water. These are much healthier alternatives that keep you focused without the major caffeine and sugar crash.
4. Stick to Healthy Foods and Snacks
Rather than reaching for a chocolate when you need a snack, why not grab an apple? An apple will help to sustain your energy levels and keep you focused because it does not give you a giant sugar rush.
5. Minimise Your Distractions
If you know you will be distracted by Snapchat, Facebook and Whatsapp while you’re supposed to be studying, consider turning your phone off while you study. This way, you are not tempted to keep checking social media whenever your mind wanders. It is up to you to remove any distractions and it’s worth the sacrifice when you pass your exams. Make sure you check out the matric past exam papers and test yourself using these.
During Matric Exams
Exams have started and you need to make sure you stay focused. How can you manage your time and not become overwhelmed by exam stress?
- Go to bed – Make sure you are getting at least eight hours of sleep at night. This will ensure that you don’t fall asleep during the exam and you have the energy to remember everything you studied.
- Eat a healthy breakfast – This will ensure your brain has fuel to write your exam, without being distracted by a grumbling tummy. On the morning of your exam, make yourself a bowl of oats or porridge with fruit and seeds to keep you full until you have completed your exam.
- Take a breather – Make sure that you read through your exam paper carefully and understand what is expected of you. Take your time, don’t try rush through your exam to finish early, rather, pace yourself and work methodically through the exam.
- Bring backups – Pack tissues, a spare pen or pencil and a bottle of water to bring with to your exam. It is important to be prepared for anything.
- Celebrate your achievements – Even if you are unsure about how the exam went, make sure you celebrate having completed your exam. This could be by treating yourself to your favourite movie or a cupcake. It is important to be kind to yourself.
Fund Your Education With Fundi
After you’ve passed your matric year, it’s time to move on to the next step: tertiary education! With the cost of education being quite high, you might be wondering how you’re going to fund your studies for the next academic year.
Don’t worry, Fundi is here to help! Fundi provides student loans to students that cover a range of educational costs. From tuition fees and textbooks to registration and study devices—Fundi Study Loans have got you covered!